Daily and Seasonal Programs
Things to do at Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre
There’s no better way to explore the wonders of wetlands than participating in one of the many award-winning Interpretive Centre’s fun and informative daily programs!
There are many activities throughout the year to get involved with. Contact us for a daily schedule. Here’s a sampling of things you can do at Oak Hammock Marsh:
In the warmer seasons…
- Guided Marsh Walks: Join an interpreter on the trails to discover the wonders of wetlands! Theme walks vary with the seasons; binoculars and field guides are available.
- Fascination Station: Get a closer look at wetland wildlife. Marsh mysteries are revealed with the help of various props and magnification equipment.
- Critter Dipping: Visitors of all ages can use a net and bucket to discover the creatures living in the waters of the Marsh. Our interpreters will help you identify and understand these important animals.
- Nature Surveys: A great way to learn about wildlife while gathering important scientific data. Seasonal surveys of fish, butterflies, dragonflies, and frogs are led by knowledgeable interpreters.
- Bird Banding: Improve your birding knowledge, every Friday morning (May to September), as you watch our resident naturalist identify and band birds.
- Canoe Adventures: Experience a treasured Canadian pastime in our large voyageur canoes. Paddle amongst the plants and animals of the Marsh for an unforgettable adventure.
In the winter season…
- Snowshoeing: Develop your snowshoeing skills as you explore the winter marsh.
- Animal Tracking: Learn about animal tracks and other winter wildlife clues.
- Winter Games: Weather permitting, you can enjoy winter with fun outdoor games such as human curling, shuffle duck and boot hockey.
All year long…
- Slideshows and movies: Relax in our indoor theatre as we present nature-themed films and slideshows for your viewing pleasure.
- Critter Feeding: Feeding time at the Interpretive Centre is always fun …you never know what the salamanders, snake or turtle are going to do!
- Face painting, crafts, games and story time: Younger visitors will enjoy many wetland-themed activities with our friendly interpreters.
- Presentations: Using puppets, pictures and props, our interpreters will amaze you with fun and educational nature talks.
- Jeopardy: Whether playing or watching, you’ll have a great time learning with Oak Hammock Marsh Jeopardy!
Many of these activities are also available for our group programs.